Monday, February 1, 2010

February already?

Wow, what happened to January? That was fast. . . .
Anyway. A couple things. I submitted my novel to a bunch of agents on Friday. That's right, I finally did it! Here's hoping that someone likes what they see.
Although I did get my first (very gentle) rejection this morning. Ah, well. It's part of the process.
Somehow, although one of my goals for this year is to do less freelancing, I am seriously overbooked. So for the next two weeks, there won't be much in the way of creativity. I'm not worrying about what novel to write next, or short story ideas, or anything like that. It'll just be head down, get the work done. Come February 16, when the last project is due, I'll be free to do whatever writing I want! Patience, patience.
That said, simply out of curiosity, a poll. Do I next write:
  1. a funny, quirky novel about two near-strangers stealing a cupcake truck and driving across America only to end up in a Western reenactment town hiding from the law?
  2. teenage superhero fiction involving crazy superpowers, bad grownups, albinos, and teenage angst?
  3. short stories?
  4. something else entirely?
Books:
1. The Nixie's Song, book one of Beyond the Spiderwick Chronicles by Holly Black and Tony Diterlizzi. I really enjoyed it. It's been a couple years since I read the original Spiderwick series, and I don't recall them being quite as dark as this one is. Holly just has a way of capturing the teenage experience that is spot-on. I've enjoyed everything she's put out, honestly, and can't wait for the next couple books!
2. Abortion & Life by Jennifer Baumgardner. This was really informative and interesting, covering a broad range of topics within the discussion of abortion. The history of abortion, a section on the Jane Collective, a discussion about post-abortion resources, and fifteen or so portraits of women who have had abortions along with their stories. Some of this was hard reading, emotional, trying. Some of it was very uplifting. Anyone who is interested in abortion as a political topic, as a personal topic, as a religious topic, anyone who has had one or knows someone else who has had one or would consider having one, this book is well worth reading.
3. Gideon the Cutpurse by Linda Buckley-Archer. A fun YA book about accidental time-travel. I enjoyed it; the characters were believable, the action well-paced, the last-minute save was great. But I don't think it's a keeper for me. This strikes me as one of those books that might not be quite as fun to reread, already knowing what happens. But, a really good book.
Anyway. I'm at work late, after coming in late (how rebel of me!), and have band rehearsal in 44 minutes. So I should go do another two minutes or so of work, and then head out. Happy Monday, everyone!

No comments: