Sunday, May 16, 2010

state of the honeydew

Time for a spring check-in on my to-do list for the year. Here's the list I posted for writing goals in January:
  • submit Nor -- DONE (although I could do it more, with different agents)
  • write cupcake truck Western novel -- now the superhero novel instead, and I'm 18,650 words in. I'm really behind, but still gunning for my deadline for draft one, which is end of June. Whole thing is outlined, that's a step in the right direction!
  • write first novel in urban fantasy series -- this will happen in the fall
  • outline entire urban fantasy series -- working on it. I've got partial ideas for each book, but need to come up with the underlying big story.
  • write three short stories -- one mostly written, one outlined, one is still just an idea
  • edit the two shorts I wrote last year -- edited one, will edit the other this summer!
So that's not bad. There's been progress on everything. I feel pretty good about it. Non-writing goals for this year include:
  • yoga regularly
  • running regularly
  • finish Buffy
  • take some clarinet lessons
  • two-bedroom apartment!
The yoga is happening. The running is beginning to happen. Buffy . . . well, I'll have more time for that once summer Fridays kick in. Clarinet lessons are in discussion currently, and the two-bedroom really depends on how well we save money for the next few months. So we'll see.
Book! 23) The Affinity Bridge by George Mann. Steampunk! Airships! Victorian England! Zombies! AWESOME! I adore this book. The tone is consistent, the steampunk elements great fun, the characters solid . . . No complaints. If you like fantasy, or steampunk, or historical fiction, run out and get this one! The trade paperback was just released April 27, so you don't have to shell out for the hardcover.
Well, there is more freelancing to do, and some grocery shopping and checkbook balancing that needs happening as well. I hope everyone's Sunday has been as peaceful as mine!

No comments: