Saturday, April 2, 2011

it will set you free

It's lovely out this morning, all crisp and cool with the unmistakable feeling of spring in the air. I've got a lot on my to-do list for the day, including taking a long walk by the river. I'm looking forward to that, but there are other things that need to happen first.
Strange dream last night. Not sure if it was one, or three, actually. It all revolved around vacation, though. First I was somewhere on vacation with my partner-in-crime. I walked away from him for a bit to look for someone, I think, when I was approached by an old friend from high school, let's call him A. It was very dim, as though it had suddenly become night, and we were on a series of terraces that were partially enclosed. There were tables with card games and such; maybe it was an outdoor casino? A was leading me around, looking for his friends while trying to convince me to stay out. And then he kissed me, and I was very confused, so I slipped away from him and was trying to find my partner-in-crime again. Then it morphed (or was a different dream), I was on a huge fancy cruise ship full of people. I was wearing a really fancy ballgown. People kept treating me like royalty, and two men kept following me around attempting to woo me. From this one I mostly remember sitting down at what was supposed to be a meal for four, only neither of my suitors would go away so there were five of us, and one suitor (who looked like a very grim Paul Bettany) wasn't dressed appropriately but wouldn't leave. Then another morph (or a different dream), I was on vacation with my younger sister but she had to leave before me, and we were trying to gather her things so she could get to her plane on time. Then I was alone in the motor home we'd rented, and was trying to collect all of my things, and there were all these shopping bags full of stuff and I was overwhelmed.
Very exciting night in my subconscious, eh?
Last Tuesday I went to Catherynne Valente's book release party for Deathless at Madame X, a dimly lit bar with lots of velvet couches and fancy cocktails. There were two musicians, one Russian and one American literary folk, and Cat read for a while. It was a good party, and I got to chat with Cat for a bit, which was lovely. She and I had been talking about getting together for cupcakes and mead while she was in the city, so when she signed my book, she signed it "For my cupcake girl," which I think is adorable! Seriously, people, if you haven't read her books, check her out. I've read four now and they're all just brilliant, with lush writing and great characters and interesting stories.
And speaking of books, I've got four more to report:
17) Room by Emma Donoghue. This is a well-written, well-executed book. The subject matter is intense: a young woman and her five-year-old son, Jack, live in a small room. They are never allowed out, and sometimes after dark the mother is visited by a man who Jack calls Old Nick, who rapes and beats the mother. However, the book is written entirely from Jack's point of view, so the reader doesn't witness the violence. Jack tells the reader about the bruises, about the days his mother doesn't get out of bed, instead. Which just makes it creepier.
I was initially against reading this book, because of the subject matter, but was persuaded to give it a shot. And while I can't say I liked it exactly, I can say that it was better than I thought it was going to be. Things drastically change for Jack and his mother about halfway through, which really saved the book for me, as I couldn't have read a whole book set in the room. I think, without saying anything spoilery, that Emma Donoghue did a great job with the narrative voice, and with the reality of the situation throughout the novel. That said, I don't think this is a book I'll ever reread. It's a little much.
18) The Sherlockian by Graham Moore. This is a fun book. Parallel murder mysteries, one being solved by Arthur Conan Doyle and Bram Stoker, the other by a contemporary Sherlock scholar named Harold White and a journalist named Sarah. This was a quick read, easy and fun. But, as with so many other mysteries, now that I know the ending I don't think I'll reread it. Still, if you enjoy a good mystery, this is worth picking up.
19) Ignore Everybody by Hugh MacLeod is a fun book about creativity, whether or not to sell out, whether or not to quit your day job, etc. I found a lot of his points to be spot on, and his humor is really quirky and entertaining. Hugh MacLeod draws cartoons on the backs of business cards, and these are scattered throughout the book as well. This it a fun little read for anybody who likes reading nonfiction about how to approach creativity. Or, for anybody who just wants to flip through and read Hugh's cartoons.
20) Nomansland by Lesley Hauge. I found this dystopian YA novel interesting. It takes place after some mysterious apocalypse, in a country where men are not allowed and women live in a tightly structured community. Friendship is forbidden, as is vanity, pride, etc. Then several of the more rebellious/unsatisfied young women discover a hidden house from the time before the apocalypse, full of mysterious things like fashion magazines, makeup, and clothing. From there the main character, Keller, gets more and more confused about how she feels and what she wants. I found Hauge's writing to be quite engaging, and will definitely read more by her. I am not sure that I would reread this one. Although I enjoyed it, I'm getting tired of the dystopian fiction.
And now it's eleven o'clock already, and I've barely started my day. Time to get on with it. There's some housework and some writing to be done. Happy Saturday!

No comments: