This week is, as my title disclosed, a little more busy than I'd like it to be. My own fault, I suppose, but I can whine a bit, can't I? Anyway. Some of it is exciting stuff, some of it is boring stuff. Some of it is just everyday little nothing stuff that has to happen at some point. (Cleaning out the fridge is on my list for tonight. Now doesn't that sound exciting?)
I've been reading more, and there are a couple books to post about, but not now. I'm just not really feeling it. Instead, I'll post about a book that I started to read, but rejected. National Book Award Winner by Jincy Willett. I picked it up because I've heard rave reviews about Willett's work from multiple people. And the writing, in the short section I read, was good. She's obviously adept at what she does. The problem I had was the characters. I just couldn't bring myself to care about any of them. Especially the main-character-in-absentia. I just didn't feel like any of them deserved my continued attention. And after 30 pages, you'd thing that one of them would've caught me by now! This is not the first book I've come across that elicited this sort of reaction, and it really makes me sad. Especially if I think the writing is really good. I want books to be about people I can empathize with and care about. Not people I despise. Who wants to read about that sort of character? So, I put it down. Hopefully the next book goes a little better!
Back to work I go. Busy busy little bee . . .
The Myth of Fingerprints
12 years ago
2 comments:
I made myself read the whole thing. It was painful.
Gah. Why did you do that to yourself?
Post a Comment