I read this article about porn the other day, and found it really interesting. It has some really interesting points, like the part where it says, "A 2004 study found that married individuals who cheated on their spouses were three times as likely to have used Internet pornography as married people who hadn’t committed adultery." Interesting correlation. But I don't think that watching porn is a precursor to infidelity, or that it is definitely and always a cause of relationship problems. Hmm. What do you all think?
The other day I finished Breaking Dawn, the last book in the Twilight saga by Stephenie Meyer. And I have to say, I wasn't thrilled with the ending. (By the way, major spoilers in the rest of this paragraph, so if you don't want to know, don't read this paragraph.) I really enjoyed the first book. And the second one. Stephenie's characters are extremely consistent in their reactions to themselves, each other, and external stimuli, which is harder to find in literature than you'd think. I think her writing voice/style is good. It's appropriately angsty for the age of her characters and the issues they're going through. Book three was a little too angsty for me, though. It was still a fun read, but there were several moments when I wanted to reach into the text, grab the characters by the shoulders, and shake them while shouting "How could you not have seen this coming/known this/realized this??" Especially when the triangle between Bella, Edward, and Jacob got more complicated. And book four . . . I enjoyed it. The consistency was still there. It was really interesting to watch Bella go through her change into being a vampire. But I had several issues. The first time she has sex with Edward, and then the next morning he's all freaked out that he gave her bruises, frustrated me. Come on, Edward! Don't be so self-absorbed! Bella enjoyed it, bruises and all! And I felt like there was a weird lack of instinctual motherliness in Bella, after she has Renesmee. Not while she's dying and transforming; obviously she was a little preoccupied then. But Renesmee often felt more like a convenient prop than a child, to me. It rarely bothered Bella when she had to hand off her child so she could go hunting or deal with a problem or something. And the ending just felt too pat to me. Too obvious. I wanted it to be more difficult for them to deal with the Volturi without people dying. I wanted them to be wittier about it. As for the series overall, I can see how and why Stephenie Meyer made the decisions she did in her writing and her characters. And it's a good story all the way through. Nonetheless, I wish Bella had been a little more empowered, instead of deferring to Edward all the time. I wanted her to stick up for herself in an adult way more often, and be less of a petulant child about getting what she wanted. I wanted Bella to think about how her decisions affected other people more. And I really wanted Edward to be less controlling. I know he was worried about how breakable Bella was, but come on. She's still a person, not a porcelain doll. I could go on about the subtext in their sex life and Bella's subsequent motherhood, but I won't, since I'm out of time. I'll just say, I guess, that if you want to know that, or want to discuss this at length, leave me a comment.
The only other thing I wanted to say is that I dreamed about my what-if boy again the other night. And it was lovely. And certainly stemmed from my anticipation about seeing him when I am (briefly) in Portland for a good friend's wedding.
Have a good weekend, everybody!
The Myth of Fingerprints
12 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment