Over the weekend, I read Neil Gaiman's blog entry on the death of his dog Cabal. I wept. What really got me about Neil's blog entry is that he wasn't able to be there when Cabal passed. And that made me think about my family, and how far away from them I am. New York City is 2,485 or 2,894 miles away from Eugene, Oregon, depending on which website you look at. Regardless of which answer is correct, that's quite a distance. I see my family once or twice a year, depending on money and weddings and babies and etc. And that blog entry made me wish I were closer to my family. It made me wish I could see them more often. It made me homesick for my family. And not just my family by blood, but my family by choice. I miss them all a lot, and most of the year I get by on phone calls and the occasional email. I'm not saying that I'm considering moving back west or anything . . . I don't really know what I'm trying to say. Maybe that someday I'd like to live closer to my family again. Something to think about.
2 comments:
We all go through those moments of home sickness. I just passed my ten year mark of being on the east coast and there are definitely days I miss Oregon. So we all understand. Hugs Lauren. -Taryn
Cabal was a lovely dog and I read that blog too. I loved following Gaiman's photos of Cabal on twitter.I totally understand what you are writing about here too. I have not seen my family and close friends for two years. It can be hard, to gone for so long. Not knowing when I will see them again. The cost and lengths of the flights. When I first came to Japan, I left my cat behind, thinking I would be back. I didn't come back and my biggest regret was that she died when I wasn't there. She was my one true friend and I left her. But I have a new family, a family of my choice but now I want to bring my families closer together but it seems impossible.
-Evangela
Post a Comment