I've been doing some thinking lately, about my life and about my priorities and about what I want to be doing with my time. And I've realized that in the last couple of years I've placed way too much importance on my job and my freelance work. Sure, the money is good from the freelancing. Sure, I feel a moral obligation to get all my work done. But I feel that for the last couple of years I have really been working myself to the bone, and for what? A few more dollars? The occasional "thanks for your hard work"? I understand that the industry I chose to get into is chronically overworked and underpaid. But I need to start taking care of myself. I got this job so I would have a career I enjoy while writing and trying to get published. I did not get into it so my life would revolve around it. And I'm never going to get published if I don't take time for more writing! So I'm making myself a promise right now. No more overtime. No more constant freelancing; I will only take projects that interest me. No more working through my lunch break. It's time to reset those boundaries. What's important to me is my life, not my job. It's my family, my friends, my partner-in-crime, my writing, my music. And I need to get back to that level of living.
So here goes! This summer is officially the summer of ME. More time for me, more writing for me, more reading for me, more everything for me. I think it's necessary. I know it'll be hard to change my habits at first, but I must. I must.
The Myth of Fingerprints
12 years ago
3 comments:
YAAAAAAAYYYYYY! Yay for more me time. Yay for not pushing work so much. It is an epidemic in this country, martyrdom to your job. And it does not do anyone any good!
I'm glad that you're making it the SUMMER OF YOU. You so deserve it. Work is not that important in the grand scheme of life. And now you get to truly enjoy your summer!
WOOO! Excellent plan! Def need to do what's best for YOU!
Post a Comment