Hi all. I know most of us don't purchase that much chocolate on a regular basis. Nonetheless, I wanted to share what I just found online. This blurb is taken from Wikipedia, but I read about it on several different websites:
On July 25, 2005, Scharffen Berger announced that it was being bought by The Hershey Company[2] On 2005 August 15, Hershey announced the completion of the acquisition [3]. Hershey purchased Scharffen Berger for about twice the company's annual revenue, which was approximately $10 million a year at the time of the 2005 acquisition.[1] The same year Hershey's also bought another San Francisco company, Joseph Schmidt Confections, and combined the two smaller companies into a wholly owned subsidiary, Artisan Confections Company.[4] In 2006 Hershey's purchased Dagoba, an Ashland, Oregon-based manufacturer of organic chocolate. Hershey's subsequently began manufacturing its new artisan brands in a factory in Robinson, Illinois and in early 2009 announced plans to close both Bay Area factories, lay off approximately 150 local employees, and transfer remaining production to Illinois, effectively keeping the company alive in name only.[4]
I'm sure you all remember my stint working at the Scharffen Berger store on the Upper West Side. It's good chocolate. I had a good time there. And now, Hershey's has ruined another good little company.
Please, everyone, can we boycott Hershey's, including Scharffen Berger and Dagoba products?
The Myth of Fingerprints
12 years ago
3 comments:
Can we still eat Green & Black's? :-)
Well, they're not owned by Hershey's, are they? I'm certainly not suggesting a chocolate boycott, just a Hershey's boycott.
Green and Blacks, my favorite!! Yes, let's boycott!! I think I'll write a blog entry for the work blog about thsi sort of thing- acquisition of small companies by monster, not-green corporations....
Post a Comment